The Hispanic Business Association at Cal State LA invited me to lead a workshop on using LinkedIn and Social Media as a tool for career development for young professionals.
We had 1 main goal for the discussion - feel better equipped in using LinkedIn (primarily) and social media to open up professional opportunities.
To accomplish that, we went over these concepts:
When it comes to Linkedn...
* Seek to inform, be easily searchable, and get recommended.
* Use search to find, message, and connect with decision makers by ultimately generating next steps.
* Use Companies and Schools to tap into networks and open dialogue with possible employers.
And in approaching social media as a whole, young professionals should:
* Build up Skills & Endorsements by asking people to +1 keywords you want to be known for.
* Share content that tells the story around your skills and networks.
* Leverage networks by using Twitter to build a brand and voice, LinkedIn to validate yourself and connect w/ decision-makers, and Facebook to keep a historical record of networks.
We finished off by having a LinkedIn working session. The members of HBS Cal St LA had 15 minutes to come up with the following:
* 20 personal keywords/terms they would like to be associated with (i.e social media, CRM, CMS, email marketing)
* 5 companies they'd like to explore career opportunities at
* 3 networks they currently belong to
* 3 recommenders to request a LinkedIn recommendation from
* 1 sample message they would send to a new professional connection
After the 15 minutes we did a large group share-out and a Q&A.